Classroom Management: Kindergarten and First Grade Procedures

As elementary art teachers we know that our procedures and classroom management differ from upper grade levels to lower grade levels. My previous posts about Leadership Roles and WIGS were definitely more geared towards 2-5 grade levels and totally applicable to even older grade (middle-high). For me personally I have to stop these procedures I'm about to discuss with 2nd grade because of space. If I didn't have the same space issues I would use similar procedures with 2nd grade as well. 


So, Kindergarten and First Grade come into the classroom straight to the carpet. I "created" my carpet using carpet squares bought online from Home Depot similar to these. I did this mainly because I needed a "carpet" solution/meeting place for these younger grade levels but my classroom space is limited so it was going to have to be in a high traffic area. Because of being in a high traffic area I need a carpet/rug that wouldn't be slippery. The options I had (from the previous art teacher) were way too slippery and dangerous to be in a high traffic zone. The only other place for a carpet was going to be too far from the screen I have for technology purposes which for me I definitely need for the younger grades (videos, read alouds, etc.). Therefore, I decided to purchase these carpet squares to lay down on the cement floor I have in my classroom. They are self-stick so once I had my dimensions and placement figured out I just needed to peel and stick. I could also customize the dimensions (I had a non standard space I was working with). This solution has worked out pretty well but as we know there are always some kiddos who love to peel things (tape contact paper, carpet squares) so I did have to purchase some double sided carpet tape for maintenance on the carpet. I bought two different colors to create a checkerboard pattern. I love the way it looks but in retrospect might have done more than two colors or just stuck to one because I have a couple students who LOVE to play hopscotch on the squares. 





So the students are lined up in the hallway, I invite them into the classroom, they come straight to the carpet (but there are always a couple who are wondering around), I follow the line into the room and sit in my chair in front of them. I say the following in a calm voice, meanwhile I also have Dojo pulled up to award points to those who are already following directions, "Thank you for being seated on your bottom. Thank you for facing me. Thank you for turning your voice off. Thank you for keeping your hands to yourself. If you're not on your bottom please fix it. If you're not facing me please fix it. If you're voice is on please fix it. If your hands are not to yourself please fix it." If everyone is not ready at that point, my voice turns a little more stern and I repeat specific instructions to specific students. "Johnny I see you're not on your bottom, please fix it." My Kindergartners this year are pretty good about getting ready within that first series of statements. Our First Graders on the other hands can be quite the handful. I stay consistent in my requests until I see they have complied. If one student is continuing not to comply then I may pull that student aside while the others watch whatever video(s) I have lined up (more explained below). 


Once I have everyone's attention I briefly explain what we are doing that day... "Today we are starting a new project, we are going to start by reading this book about Monsters then we will watch a video I made to show you what we will be doing today." (A brief aside here, I generally create my own demo videos for every project for every grade. The only exception is Kindergarten. I do create demo videos sometimes for K but they are pretty engaged in just about anything I say and the steps of a K project are much simpler whereas other grade levels listen to me much better when I'm on a video. More on how I create demo videos here)


After I briefly explain what they should expect, I play the video(s)/give verbally instructions, repeat the most important bits from the video(s)/verbal instructions, potentially ask students to repeat important bits, repeat what they have on their tables and what (if anything) they may need to raise their hands for, then invite them to WALK to their seats and get started. They go to their tables and work. I walk around the room and repeat important things whether it be about sharing or taking care of materials or content/technique related. 



Towards the end of class just before clean-up I try to identify a student or two who will help with clean-up. I give them an Art Helper tag and let them know what they will be collecting. When the clean-up alarm goes off I remind students to put their artwork in their folders (unless I need them to put them somewhere else, in which case it may be a student job), put materials away at their tables neatly and come back to the carpet. I repeat if you are not a helper you should be on the carpet. Once the majority are back on the carpet I play (or replay) a related video/song. I then oversee that the helpers are appropriately cleaning-up/collecting and putting the materials back in the proper location. 


More about materials management in a future post but each grade level has their own location on the counter for their materials to be stored. K and 1 know to put their materials back in their area on the counter. 



When it is line-up time I may tap students on the head to line-up, I may say everyone on a grey square line-up (then green square, etc.) or anyone with red on (blue, pink, etc.) or I may call by rows (row 1, row 2, etc.). Some teachers would like their students to be in line order, I expect students to know what their teacher expects and to follow that direction accordingly. Most classes have figured out how to get in line order fairly well without being called to line-up in line order. 



What do your Kindergarten and First Grade procedures look like? Are you able to accommodate grades older students on your carpet or meeting space? Share in the comments!

Comments