Classroom Management: Leadership Roles

I work hard to create autonomy in the classroom. As a Leader in Me school, leadership is a major priority throughout the building. A large part of creating autonomy in my classroom is expecting students to run the "studio" a little more. My first year in an elementary school I did WAY too much myself. So the next year I looked for easy ways to involve students in helping make sure the classroom runs smoothly (and it works, MOST of the time!?) The following system is what I used with grades 2-5. 



I have 3 job opportunities. Table Captains (one per table), Art Teacher in Training and Line Caller. The Line Caller helps call students to line-up at the end of class. That student is looking for tables that are cleaned-up, in their seats and quietly waiting. I choose a different student each time (a lot of times they ask, I eventually need to establish a better system to choosing or alternating, but for now it works). More details below for Table Captains and Art Teacher in Training...


One of the most important jobs in my classroom are Table Captains. They are responsible for getting materials needed for that class period and returning the materials at the end of the class period. I printed descriptions, cut them, wrote the table color in marker, laminated them, punched holes and tied yarn to make them into lanyards. They are hanging on the whiteboard. Each lanyard has its own command hook (otherwise they get tangled really easily!) Students know to pick up their tag at the beginning of class and return them to their hook at the end of class. I've had to replace the yarn once this year (they got tangled when a student didn't put them on their own hook... plus they were really dirty looking.) 

At the beginning of the school year when introducing this new job, I was also seeing how choosing their own seats would work. I told them they would be choosing table captains for their tables, NOT me! I do NOT want to keep track of all that, the whole point was to take responsibility OFF of me! The Table Captain roles may change from class to class depending on what the particular group of students works out.  So, I explained at great length that if the people at your group can't come to an agreement on who will be table captain and how the job may rotate, then you have chosen the wrong people to sit with. Of course as I have changed seating arrangements around tables are always working on their communication and compromising skills. Typically they work out who is Table Captain without incident. If there is some sort of "issue" then my go to is rock paper scissors or suggesting a rotation schedule.



Another important job in the classroom is the Art Teacher in Training who mainly distributes and picks up table folders. This was a responsibility that always seemed to stress me out before I gave it to students. I normally had other things I was needing to deal with and distributing and picking up folders was an easy thing I could turn over to a student. I try to choose a different student every class sometimes I give the responsibility to a student who needs redirection to avoid behavioral incidents, sometimes I reward a student with great behavior for this responsibility and sometimes I ask the closest student to me at the time. I painted this apron (it's optional to wear) for the Art Teacher in Training. Sometimes I have a special job for the project or materials we are using and the Art Teacher in Training is responsible for this (cleaning brushes after painting, collected a special material like sharpies).

If your school and student population is anything like mine then you have students who need a break sometimes. Sometimes my kiddos come in with some emotions from their previous teacher or an incident at lunch or on the playground, etc. So if they are not going to be able to focus on a task then I have a job lined up for them. Sorting scrap paper, sharpening pencils (with a handheld sharpener), sweeping, etc. I have found that my students who may not come into class ready for learning are really good helpers, why not put them to work, especially if focusing on their artwork isn't happening. Art of Ed. has a great list of art room jobs that I have gone through to see what applies to my classroom and my needs. I have this list laminated and ready to look at if I don't have a "special job" lined up for my kiddos. 

If you are looking to take some pressure off of you and place more responsibility on your students, start by looking at the tasks you find the most distracting from the things you really need to focus on and give that responsibility to a student. Figure out what one student can do in a class period to help things run smoothly and give that job a name. Keep the jobs fairly limited otherwise you may have job chaos (too many jobs, descriptions, etc.). A person responsible for table matters is probably helpful and then one or two people responsible for other whole class tasks. 

To download these Leadership posters and Table Captain tags please visit my TPT: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Organized-Art-Teacher

Share your favorite classroom jobs in the comments below!!
  


Comments