Organization: Daily Materials

Daily material organization can be a tough thing to organize. Not every classroom has the same opportunity for organization, I am very lucky to have ample space to store things. That being said it still took me a little while to organize materials that worked well for myself and my students, keeping in mind that I want my students to have autonomy in the classroom. I have finally found a system at my current school that is working well!! 



Pencils have their own special location. 2nd-5th grade uses regular pencils and handheld pencil sharpeners (finding decent ones that don't break the bank hasn't happened yet...comment if you have a GREAT handheld sharpener you LOVE). I HATE the sound of electric pencil sharpeners, it is seriously by pet peeve and I also don't want my students out of their seat if possible (behavior management), so handheld is my go to. Each table has a thin basket for pencils and a handheld pencil sharpener. I also keep a cup for dull pencils and a cup for sharp pencils. If I have a student who needs an art break or is having a particularly rough day and needs a job then they can sharpen pencils for the sharp cup (again with a handheld sharpener, its more tactile anyway). Kindergarten and First Grade use the larger diameter pencils. My older kids for whatever reason ALWAYS want to use these, but I keep them sharpened so I also hide those with the K/1st grade materials. (see below for where I store materials I don't want available to the masses). 



For daily materials organization I have set aside a section of counter space for every grade level. I have it ordered by my daily schedule. On the wall above their section is a sign with their grade level number (or letter for Kindergarten). They know their materials are located where their see their grade level. Getting this in their routine was a learning curve but they have it figured out by now (mostly). If a grade level is using the same supplies as another grade level then I have those materials located at the first grade levels section and then I move it to the next grade levels section (or have a student do it). Kindergarten and First grade helpers do a really nice job helping return their materials at the end of class.

Grades 2-5 Table Captains pick up their own supplies for their table as well as return their supplies. For Kindergarten and First Grade, I put out their materials before they arrive or while they are watching a video at the beginning of class (more about demo/instructional videos here). More about procedures for 2-5 here and K-1 here.



I store materials that I want to keep away from students but want to have handy in the open cabinets I have above my counters. I have labeled them with each grade level. For some classes I have students that get into other classes supplies (boundary problems) so sometimes I keep supplies up there to keep them away from those students. In other situations I have the drawing paper there so I can control who gets paper (to avoid students getting more than one piece). I also keep handouts or worksheets there (in case students need them another class period but I don't want them out of the counter, quantity control.) I also often have classes off schedule with the rest of their grade level due to holidays, inclement weather, assemblies, etc. So I keep materials from a previous step in this area also for those classes that are behind. 


For painting projects (mostly with my older students) I use caddies. I have two sinks in my classroom and I store these behind the sinks. More on painting organization in another post. A dish rack and extra brushes are also stored next to the sink. 

Special materials or materials I want complete control over are located on my desk. When I don't need the materials I store them behind my computer or under my desk so students won't get them (out of sight out of mind). When a class needs them I pull them out on a table next to my desk for students to get on a individual basis. 

This is definitely not my idea but I use the eraser parking lot! It has worked fairly well but definitely not fail proof for me. I have found the less I have in the parking lot the more success I have in retaining the amount I given. Not sure why? Seriously over the eraser "problem". 

What are your daily material organization hacks or systems? What works well for you and your students? Share in the comments. 

Comments